Northrop X-4 Bantam (1948)
About the Design
First flown in 1948, Northrop's X-4 "Bantam" was built for the NACA (the forerunner to NASA) to test the architecture of semi-tailless aircraft. The low swept-wing X-4 had no formal tail surfaces, relying solely on its proportionately large main wing surfaces for control. Designed for sub-sonic flight, the jet-powered X-4 had a top speed of 640 mph and an operational ceiling of 40,000 feet.
Two versions were built. The plane was retired in 1954.
About the Kit
This limited-run injection-molded model was released by MPM of the Czech Republic in 2000.
This model was built from an original issue.